FINALLY Margaret arrived 100% in Almería.
She is now living and working out of Los Banos de Sierra Alhamilla.
After In&Out for work at different festivals she developed a business with Marisa del Pino for all around services to foreign property owners in Almería.
She recalls her skills and passion as a craftswomen (furniture restorer 1976-1986) and the fact that she has restored several houses in the local Andalusian style gave her the idea to this very usefull service since foreign property owners very often do not understand paper works and laws and conditions to legally own a house in Spain.
She practices Taiji in the Yang form of 85 sequences with greatest respect for her teacher Honghao Wang and she loves the nature of the desert and the beaches of Almeria.
And her “Cortijo del Pescado” in the oasis of Los Baños de Sierra Alhamilla allows her to host guests, who have the desire to Dream, Relax & Reconnect, serving family, friends as well as writers and other creatives.
Margaret von Schiller was born in December 1956 in South Germany. After finishing college, her family emmigrated to Spain while she completed an apprenticeship in cabinet making back in Munich. Following this, she spent several years in France, the UK and Spain, intensifying her skills in restoring antique furniture.
Returning to Germany in 1983 she opened her own workshop, but also created short programs in radio broadcasting, storytelling her travels, thereby exploring a whole new talent.
Soon thereafter she began with theatre festival co-ordination and also served as assistant director on International film productions which drew her interest increasingly towards producing and directing culture-related TV films. She travelled the South American Continent and later developed a special passion for the South Pacific, due to her family links with the island of Tahiti.
In 1990 the director of the Panorama section within the Berlin Film Festival, Manfred Salzgeber, invited her to join his then small team with Wieland Speck, where she remained for sixteen very fruitful years. Several months per year were dedicated to helping grow the reputation of the Panorama section and included deputy responsibilities. In 2006 she left the Berlinale.
She then dedicated herself to Mingusfilm Media Production & Postproduction (also TV&Educational &Industrial) together with her longtime partner Florian Koehler (editor and photographer). But they split in 2009.
Margaret von Schiller keeps offering her long time skills in the film industry, after 25 years of working in the Industry and frequently and internationally serves as selection board member and jury member and panel guest in Festivals and film markets.
In 2010 and 2011 she was appointed Industry Co-ordinator at the Sevilla Film Festival.
In 2011 she was responsible for programming for the Cuenca Film Festival in Spain, a small festival dedicated to films made by female directors. Unfortunately the festival could not take place in 2012 for the lack of finances.
In 2014 she was appointed Artistic Director at the Almeria Western Film Festival. The 4th edition of this young festival and the first edition under the new organization has been celebrated 10-12.October 2014. GOOD LUCK to the organizers in the future!
Coordinator/Programmer/Presenter/Director in the past:
- Hammoniale, Festival der Frauen, Hamburg, 1995-1999, Coordinator
- Panorama der Berlinale, 1989-2006, Programme Coordinator/ Deputy Director/ Shortfilm selecion for Panorama, member of preselection group doc&fiction
- Industry Coordinator Sevilla Festival de Cine Europeo, 2010 and 2011
- Programming Director “Mujeres en Direccion” Cuenca, Spain, 2011 – a festival of films made by female directors.
- Presenter of the Poryes Award in Berlin
- Presenter of the Pacific Festival Europe 2000 – 2015
Other film related work not so long ago:
- Preselection board German Film Week, Madrid 2012 and 2013
- Swimming Upstream lifesaving Guidebook for Shortfilmmakers
P:Tribeca New York, contributing author
- At Mediaservices, Boston, Line Producer
- Internationales Frauen Film Festival Dortmund Köln, Moderation /Presenter
- Sprache und Präsenz, Kommunikationstraining mit Friederike von Plato, Berlin
- diegesellschafter.de/ Über Macht/Short Notice Preisverleihung für Aktion Mensch, Jury member and award ceremony host
- Teddy Award, Queer Film Award auf der Berlinale (foundation member), presenting the award ceremony in 2005 und 2006 (ARTE)
- Translations for Int. Sales and distribution company Memento International, Paris
- Second International Meeting of Women in Audiovisual Europe, CIMA (Association of Women in Film and Audiovisual Media, Spanien), International Relations
- AND MORE…